INSTRUCTIONS AFTER YOUR VASECTOMY
- Restrict your activities for 24 hours. Being a couch potato will reduce the chance of swelling, bruising, bleeding and pain. Do not engage in athletic activities for five days. Prematurely exercising can result in a large scrotal hematoma!
- Apply an ice pack intermittently to the scrotum for the first 24 hours, twenty minutes on, twenty minutes off, etc. This will help keep the swelling to a minimum.
- Wear supportive jockey shorts or an athletic supporter for a few days. This will help immobilize the scrotum.
- An anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil will often suffice for the post-operative discomfort, without all the side effects associated with a narcotic. If you need a stronger medication, fill the prescription for the narcotic medication.
- You may shower or bathe the day after the vasectomy. Use a gentle patting technique with the towel instead of rubbing.
- You may resume sexual activity as soon as you are feeling well enough to do so. Remember to continue using contraception, until your semen analysis confirms the absence of sperm!
- Schedule a follow-up office visit for 6-8 weeks after the vasectomy. One week before the visit, obtain the semen analysis—you will be given a prescription for this as well as a specimen cup. Be sure to get the specimen to the lab as soon as feasible.
- If you encounter a problem or have an emergency, call 201-342-6600, and the on-call urologist will be paged.
Andrew Siegel, M.D.
Our Website Disclaimer
Bergen Urological Associates
255 W. Spring Valley Ave.
Maywood, NJ 07607
VIEW MAP >>
222 Cedar Lane
Teaneck, NJ 07666
VIEW MAP >>